In this post I want to do something a bit different. I want to reflect out loud about some of the goals I am setting for this next year. I don't really like making resolutions, but I do find it helpful to set some goals (maybe this is just an issue of semantics, but it works for me!).
Last year I set some goals over on my personal blog and I managed to do a couple of them, but failed seriously on the others. This isn't something I am beating myself up over, just something I am noticing.
So here are some goals I am setting for this year:
* I'd like to stay consistent with writing on this blog. It seems to go in waves; I'll write every day for a couple of weeks and then nothing for a month. But I'd like to be more consistent. I don't want to set a specific goal, but I know I don't want to go more than a week without posting.
* I'd like to do some editing of the Trans* Passion Narrative I've written and see about publication (or self-publication).
* I want to finally develop an ecourse on queer theology that people can take.
* I'd like to do a couple of speaking/preaching things this year (if you're interested in having me come, let me know!)
* I want us to have another successful camp experience this summer.
* My hope is that we'll have at least 15-20 campers this summer.
* I want us to have our 501(c)3 and be able to open a bank account.
* I want us to be able to get the word out about the camp to more people.
* I want this community to continue. Personally I'd like to see us move to meeting weekly by the end of the year.
* I'd like to see our community grow a bit.
* I'd like us to get involved in service to the community.
* I want us to continue to dream together about what our community should look like.
* I'd like to get better at praying the Daily Office on a regular basis.
* I'd like to find a person or two to be in an accountability group with; To really wrestle and grow together.
* I want to read the entire Bible (I've never read the whole Bible. I've read most of it, but not the whole thing).
* I would like to go on a retreat (possibly a silent one) at the Benedictine monastery.
* I want to find ways to get involved in service in the community.
* I want to be close to ordination (or ordained) this year.
* I want to continue to wrestle with, think about, pray on what vocation means to me and what it should look like in my life.
* Every year I try to read 100 books. This is a goal that I find really helpful and fulfilling.
* I will once again attempt Nanowrimo in November (this is where you write a 50,000 word novel in one month).
* I'd like to get into (and stick with) the habit of doing morning pages each day. I find that it helps me so much when I actually do it so I need to find a way to make it work.
* I also find it helpful to write daily to-do lists. I want to keep up with that practice.
What goals are you setting for yourself this year? Do you find goal setting helpful or harmful?